Once upon a time Formica and Corian were the most common surfacing materials. Those days are over with the affordability of granite and new engineered man-made materials.
The new products are green, anti-microbial, non-porous, heat resisitant and stain resistant.
SHOPPING FOR COUNTERTOPS: QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF
- As far as the feel of the countertops, do I prefer a textured or a smooth surface?
- Do I like the convenience that an integrated sink will add to my kitchen?
- When it comes to color, do I like a solid option or do I prefer patterns like veins of complementing color throughout?
- Is the material for the countertops a concern? Do I prefer material that is from a natural source or a man made type?
- Do I prefer to use a separate cutting board or do I want the option to chop foods directly on the countertop?
- Do I bake quite often and will need to roll dough on the countertops?
- Will I need to be able to place hot pots on the counters without fear of damage?
- Is staining an issue? Will I need to be concerned if certain liquids, like red wine, are spilled on the countertops?
- Will I be ok with a type of countertop that will need to be resealed on a regular basis?